Subjects

For Charley...

It's a well know fact that parts of Africa are dangerous, though the majority of the people are kind and loving some are ruthless and violent.  When you are in a project (a cross between a school and an orphanage) in the middle of nowhere, two hrs from the nearest building that passes for a hospital and nearly a day's drive from Nairobi you can feel a little insecure.  What helps is having someone around that knows the area, looks like a General and speaks with the gentleness of Jesus to a child.  For me, that was Charley.

Charley's brother was married to the programme's director Ruth but he left when the marriage broke down, Charley stayed.  Honestly other than walk around I have no idea what he did but make the place feel safe (which is no small feat when the only thing between you and whoever's outside is a somewhat rickety iron gate).  He had a calmness that can't be emulated, with an inner (as well as obvious outer) strength, the man seemed like relaxation personified. 

Every time we left the project there were always several police checks along broken down roads.   We were told that we'd be fine as because we were white the police weren't likely to be attack us or proposition us for bribes but we heard stories of those that were. Were it needed, there was little chance of reinforcement reaching us in any amount of time.  It was safe to say every check I went through made me more than a little nervous, I'd smiled my nicest white girl smile and breathed out slowly as the policeman with a stern face waved us on. 

Charley came with us on our final trip to Nairobi to fly home.  When we got to the first police check  as usual the man in charge peered in the van but rather than frown and wave us through he saluted.  It wasn't me or my husband or the woman that was voluntarily looking after 400 African children that aren't her own or the driver he was saluting, it was Charley.  Reclining in the back of the van, Charley, in his casual way saluted back. 

I recently found out that Charley, the strongest man I came across during my stay in Africa passed away from Meningitis.  The words 'what a waste' have never been so apt.  I never really thanked him for his influence during my stay and I don't think he ever really knew how much he helped to make me feel safe. There are many people that were friendly, accommodating and kind to us during our trip, but Charley stands out.

Charley I salute you.